Monday, December 28, 2009

3 idiots at Rex –An eulogy

With wife and daughter away on Dec holidays, I was home alone. I got around the idea of watching 3 idiots, after thumbs up from my colleague. So checked PVR, INOX all shows sold out, the only option was Rex. It’s been sometime that I watched a movie in a “theater “as most of the recent movies have been at the multiplexes. I was reluctant as the usual fears, it will not be comfortable, the seats will not have push back, the AC might not work, and it will be stuffy. These fears turned out to be true, but I had one of my best movie experiences of my life.

I went ahead and booked the tickets; it was the 10:00 PM show or since we are the Rex call, it the traditionalists way second show. I was there at Rex by 9:00 PM so it was one good hour before the start of the show. It was real fun to watch the world around you, from the vintage point of the steps near the booking counter. Something that I have never seen of late, is a guy selling tickets in black, he stood carelessly with his leg against the wall, approaching the sad faces who, had just been told that the show is sold out. 140 ka 200! They are the chime sounds of a theater, what an entry! As I was near the booking counter, a crumpled piece of cardboard “sold out”, gotten used to seeing the neon displays saying sold out. The cardboard for some reason makes a bolder statement than the neon display.

A bunch of friends might be a group from work picks up a conversation next to me. One of the guys in the group spots an old classmate; he nudges a shoulder and says “that guy is my NCC mate”. Greetings are exchanged between old pals, and quite naturally they start talking about where their lives have taken them and how their waist lines have kept up with time.

A lady walks in on her mobile, constantly on her phone giving her exact place where she is standing, traffic updates, information on parking status, in her own unique way she had setup a control room, the difference she had to take care of an 8 year old on the job. So all communication on the phone would be interrupted by “shreya not there”, “mama will buy that later”. But she did a phenomenal job; all her family members were now gathered around her.

A constant sight at any theater is a lot of Jain families and groups of guys in the male ritual of looking their best for the million dollar glance from the opposite Sex. This day at Rex was no different.

And the best part is the balance in chaos, there is no rope line, but in some magical way when the doors are opened a line quickly gets formed. No security checks here, the only screening you get is a glance is from the usher to check if you are a usual offender I guess.

Even the movie experience is phenomenal, with the crowds cheering the punch lines, hooting at the lewd jokes. Clapping over emotional wins in the movie. There is definitely a lot of goodness in accompanying the cattle class of which I am a breed too. After the movie you fell a spell was cast on you for the past 4 hours.

Rex might not stay on for long, or might be it will go the multiplex way. Changes are good I am no placard holder stating “no multiplexes”. If 3 idiots was my parting to my old ways of watching a movie, it’s a parting well made.

This is me signing off for 2010 as well, what better way to sign off 2009 and go into 2010 than a snippet from a song from 3 idiots.

Give me some Sunshine
give me some rain
Give me another chance
wana grow up once again

Have a happy new year!

1 comment: